[ola] Re: Smartboards in the OWL classroom

  • From: Zach Haney <zachhaneyjobs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 23:41:24 -0400

JoAnn,
So of course, you can keep the vocab list there as Ruth suggested (and in fact,
now it's saved and protected!). But you can also do things like pull up images,
have students draw on them, you can circle parts of the image and ask them to
focus on that in describing or whatever. Look up BrainPop in Spanish (costs
money, so worth it). There are some lovely "app-like" things that you can
explore that bring up games and other such things that are easily done in
Spanish.
This is a popular website for finding various resources:
http://exchange.smarttech.com/index.html#tab=0
Talk to your math people! They have some great info on how to use these boards.
Teach your kids some math stuff in Spanish using these boards. Can they explain
multiplication in Spanish? What about fractions? A simple equation? Cross
curricular stuff is so fun, and of course it goes with all that ridiculous
"common core" nonsense. [And it will force them to think about if they actually
understand that kind of stuff even in English!]
The smartboard is really helpful for doing visualizations -- which they can
then manipulate (trust them to respect the technology and use it without
damaging it) and talk about in Spanish.
Zach
Math/Spanish TeacherMeridian AcademyBrookline, MA [Boston]
From: joannac@xxxxxxx
To: ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ola] Smartboards in the OWL classroom
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 17:36:32 +0000

Greetings fellow OWLers -

I recently find myself with a Smartboard in my classroom and would like to
integrate it as much as possible in to my daily lessons - do any of you have
experience with Smartboards in the OWL classroom? Any advice or great ideas?

Gracias, JoAnna

JoAnna Coleman
Spanish Teacher
Wilson High School