[ola] Re: Sentence Frames

  • From: Ruth Whalen Crockett <rwhalen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 02:42:03 +0000

Hi all,

I'm really curious about these sentence frames.  How do they support creating
with the language? I'm afraid that they might encourage skipping much needed
steps in language learning/development.  Extending discourse is about adding
descriptions, explanations and comparisons. If we apply sentences frames are we
doing this work for our students? Are we forcing false language?  I don't want
to be a drag here. Might asking provocative questions and holding the space for
students to fully respond to these questions be at the center of encouraging
students to describe, explain and compare. Pushing them to explain why and how
will facilitate creating with the language without doing the work for them.

I worked with language frames for a number of years. It was the drill exercises
of the Rassias Method.  It was fun. Students sounded great. Kids could say all
kinds of things. Unfortunately they often times had no idea what they were
saying and could not apply the language constructions to varying contexts.

Thanks for getting me thinking on this.  One activity I think we could
definitely support this work and is something we could do on the listserveis
coming up with all kinds of questions that we might ask to spark extended
discourse. We could level the questions to Novice, Intermediate and Advanced
levels.  The key in many of these questions is to encourage kids to explain
why, how, because, and, then, etc.

Examples:
Theme: Nelson Mandela
Novice: Describe Nelson Mandela
Intermediate: Why is Nelson Mandela an important person in South Africa and the
world?
Advanced: Why was it important that Barack Obama speak at Nelson Mandela's
funeral?

Theme: New Year's
Novice: What do you do on New Year's eve?
Intermediate: Do you make resolutions on January 1st? Why or why not? Have you
ever kept one?
Advanced: What is one thing your hope to accomplish in 2014? What patterns will
you need to change in your life to meet this goal? What help do you need from
others?

I may need some help in identifying levels. Just a  start.

Thanks,
Ruthie