[ola] Hook for NH-IL Spanish classes

  • From: Emily Gerstner <emilygerstner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 17:41:47 -0800

I had success using this article listing the life spans of different
animals as a hook today. We discussed Day of the Dead earlier this week,
and I wanted to continue in the same vein without getting stuck on Day of
the Dead. Life, death... it's all related, right? We focused on the lists
of animals in the article, discussed who had the longest and shortest
lives, then the conversation went something like this:

Which animal lives the longest life?
Do YOU want to live 123 years? What are the positives and negatives?
Which do you prefer, living a short life that's more fun or a longer that
is less fun? (Some discussion about what this question means and how it
affects your decision?
If you are only going to live 25 years, how are you going to spend your
life?
In general, what are things you want to do before you die?

Good discussion, then students wrote paragraph responses to 1 of 2 question
options on a notecard, then we passed around notecards and read others'

ALSO, these questions should really utilize the subjunctive and conditional
tenses, which I did not ask students to use. I recognize that the grammar
of the questions might be a little wonky, but I felt that the conversation
was worthwhile.

Of course, you could take this hook in a lot of different directions and
use it to talk about animals too!

Cheers,
Emily