[ola] First day HELP! and awesomeness

  • From: "Jody Soberon" <JodySo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2013 07:57:29 -0700

Hi!

Yesterday was my first day of classes. Every class went as planned, was
awesome and responsive and then 7th period, a Spanish 2 class with 38
students, came on. They were excessively chatty, in English. And there
are about 8 students who are the disruptive type and talk out in English
a LOT, 3 of whom just really don´t care. We only achieved half of what
we did in all other classes and got no vocab up, though we did in every
other class. 5 were sent out of the circle for a minute, 1 was sent out
of the circle and then outside the class for a minute twice!

So it looks like I am going to have to debrief TODAY with them and not
during English days/week. It can't wait. My thoughts:

-Have a discussion about trust and decency
-Talk about the effect of breaking out into English which switches the
brain. Somewhere I heard that research says that it takes 7-8 minutes to
get back to before the brain switch. Can someone hook me up with that
research?

I also plan to go over consequences including what one of the members
of my PLC shared with me. It is a Debrief behavioral sheet that the
student has to fill out. I'm going to try this for students who have to
leave the room for disruptions or incesssant English. The doc itself is
in English, but if I can nip bad behavior in the bud in the beginning,
the whole class will benefit. (I've attached it for your perusal.

In other thoughts or comments? Thank you and happy OWLing,

Jody

Foreign Languages
Brookings Harbor High School