[ola] Re: Evaluating student output using MEPNI

  • From: "Jody Soberon" <JodySo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 07:49:21 -0800

Excellent! Thank you so much for catching that and sharing research. It is much
appreciated.

Jody

Foreign Languages
Brookings Harbor High School
>>> Thomas Hinkle <thinkle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 11/18/2013 3:53 AM >>>
Jody,

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 2:52 PM, Young, Lisa <lyoung@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mastery
> Exceeds
> Proficiency
> Not Proficient
> Insufficient evidence
>
> Close to ABCDF, except N and I receive no credit and there are no other
> sublevel grades + or -.

I would point out that if your district is serious about proficiency grading,
then MEPNI is *NOT* equivalent to A-F. Traditional grades are a shmorgashborg,
covering effort, work completed, and competency. Profiency, as I understand it,
is aiming to focus *only* on competency. More importantly still, traditional
grades average over the course of the year. With proficiency, all that matters
is whether you're able to reach the benchmark eventually (or reach it 3 times
or whatever you use to determine they really can do it and it's not just a
fluke).

It seems to do this fairly, though, we need a real sense of what levels of
proficiency we can ask *all* students to achieve at a given grade level. It
seems like numerous things I'm finding online (here  (
http://mjtprs.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/actfl-proficiency-level-overview-revised.pdf
 )and here ( http://www2.ignatius.edu/faculty/turner/proficiency.htm )) suggest
that Spanish 2 students should be aiming for NH, whereas the rubric you sent
seems to aim for NM. I found this study (
http://casls.uoregon.edu/pdfs/tenquestions/TBQHoursToReachIH.pdf ) which
answers the question much more precisely on page 3 (Converter chart for that
table: 1-NL,2-NM,3-NH,4-IL,5-IM,6-IH). That confirms that by the end of year 2
a majority of students should reach NH in speaking (they will reach that level
in writing by the end of year 1). Of course, this begs the question of where to
put the "proficiency" bar -- do we put it at NH and figure your work is to
figure out about 1/3 of kids in a typical school don't reach the benchmark, or
do we set it low enough that we're pretty sure everyone will cross the line
(NM) and only have to worry about the 5% or so of kids in a typical classroom
who won't make it to NM after Spanish 2. Also, it appears from the chart that
reading will lag behind speaking and writing will be ahead -- it seems good
rubrics might account for that as well.

Tom