[ola] Advice to new students

  • From: Nanosh Lucas <nanoshlucas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 19:07:25 -0700

Beautiful… from a Spanish 1 student:

To next year's students: my advice to you is to work your little butts off,
because Mr. Lucas is in a class of his own. Mr. Lucas doesn't just speak
Spanish, he exudes it.
There is one thing any students of Mr. Lucas require in order to succeed and
that is the extreme stubbornness of a student who wants to succeed. It is vital
that any new students prepare themselves mentally for the confusion and
frustration of being immersed in
spanish.Once you enter Lucas's classrom you will never be the same. Spanish
will ring in your ears all the time and some of you might even have nightmares
about it, but if you attempt to speak Spanish all the time in his class, your
speaking abilities will improve past a student in a conventional class.
Therefore my advice to new students is, (and I'm sure you've all heard this
before) , that they give an honest attempt to work and understand in order to
improve yourself. I say this because after all, only the individual can care
enough to improve the self. Of course, if you find Spanish meaningless, it is
not Sr. Lucas's job to convince you and become a drill sergeant- you are the
master of your own mind and it is your responsibility to decide what you will
learn.