[off-topic] iOS and dictionary

  • From: Chris H <christopherh40@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: off-topic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2013 17:03:15 +0100

I came across this by accident today. I typed a word in the Notes app, selected the word by using edit in the rotor, flicked up and down with one finger and double tap on select, and a menu came up with define as the focused menu item. SO I double tap on this, and by magic a window comes up with the definition of the word. I also discovered you can ask Siri to define a word for you although had problems with another word, hdmi. Siri eventually found a wiki article and whether I wanted him to read it. So I said yes and well let's say the reading was brilliant. Now I don't know if the dictionary is completely integrated into iOS or not, but it certainly got the definition fast even though I was on a 3g connection.

So if you want a dictionary check out the one built into iOS.
Kind regards
Chris.
--
E-mail Facebook and iMessage