[off-topic] Re: Simple ways to get google translate to handle it for you

  • From: "RobH." <the1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <off-topic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 21:31:16 +0100

brilliant, thanks!
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jacob Kruger" <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <off-topic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 7:51 PM
Subject: [off-topic] Simple ways to get google translate to handle it for
you

Since the standard google translate site is rather cluttered with 'smart'
content, reckon/think the following examples might be of minor interest if
interested -

To quickly/easily get it to translate a phrase/term:
http://translate.google.com/?sl=en&tl=af&text=how+are+you+feeling

On that result page, find text/edit box, and it will have original text in
it - in english in this case (sl=en) and below that will be Afrikaans
translation result (tl=af) - sl is source language and tl is target
language, and the text value, I just replaced spaces with + character, and
ignored/removed any punctuation, since while shouldn't necessarily be an
issue, might sometimes.

Then, if you wanted to translate a webpage, the following is an example:
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=en&tl=af&u=http://www.blindza.co.za/

Give it a bit of time to load, and then look for sort of embedded frame,
which should contain the result - in this case the Afrikaans translation of
my website - and in the address/URL, while sl and tl still mean source and
target languages, u is for URL, etc.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

With questions, concerns, or issues please contact the list admin at:
beto.arreola22@xxxxxxxxx , on skype on betoa221, or twitter betoa221.
To sub to the list please send message to: off-topic-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with
subscribe on the subject line.
To unsub from the list send message to: off-topic-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx