[off-topic] Re: MalwareBytes Pro tip

  • From: Chris H <christopherh40@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: off-topic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 08:30:39 +0100

Ibrahim, fair enough, but I thought MalwareBytes has improved on this. For a while now I never had MalwareBytes blocks web activity from Skype. In fact, I thought this was a good thing as at least Skype can't feed malicious chat messages, for example. I know I'm missing the poitn here so will stop there.

E-mail Facebook and iMessage
christopherh40@xxxxxxxxx

On 11/10/2013 02:51, Ibrahim Gucukoglu wrote:
Hi Chris.

Malware Bytes website blocking is a complete waste of time.  It often
blocks
Skype from communicating with the web properly, and although you can
tell it
to ignore certain IP addresses for blocking IE let the program do its
thing,
you cant set exclusions on a program level, so for instance still using
Skype as an example, if it cant dial home occasionally, it will assume no
internet connection and try again later, with a different IP address and
port number.  My advise to you is to disable the pesky useless feature
until
Malware Bytes get their act together and either start including a reliable
database of programs which should rightfully be blocked, allow you to
specifically exclude not just IP addresses but programs from the block or
best of all, get rid of the feature all together and concentrate on
improving the malware detection and removal engine which it is famed for.

All the best, Ibrahim.

-----Original Message----- From: Chris H
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2013 8:45 PM
To: BCAB Discussion List
Subject: [BCAB] MalwareBytes Pro tip

Good evening all.
I am currently in an online voice chat session regarding computer skills.
A member was complaining that every time a malicious website is blocked
by MalwareBytes Pro, a user is alerted to the fact via a balloon.
Well here is a way to still block these websites but not alert the user
to this.
Here is how to do it.
1. In the notification area press enter on MalwareBytes Antimalware. The
MalwareBytes Antimalware window opens.
2. Tab to select the exit button. Do not activate this.
3. Instead, press up arrow to focus to the tabs.
4. Press control left/right arrows until the protection tab is selected.
5. Tab to select the check box that says, "show tooltip balloon when a
malicious website is blocked".
6. Go ahead and uncheck this.
7. Tab to and select the exit button.
8. Go ahead and activate this.
Hope this is useful.
Kind regards
Chris.
With questions, concerns, or issues please contact the list admin at:
beto.arreola22@xxxxxxxxx , on skype on betoa221, or twitter betoa221.
To sub to the list please send message to: off-topic-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with
subscribe on the subject line.
To unsub from the list send message to: off-topic-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx