[obol] yesterdays quiz the answer below

  • From: Stephanie Hazen <stephaniehazen17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 09:22:19 -0800

https://picasaweb.google.com/101700670573128910486/WhatBirdIsThis?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMKAzfC0pIiNSA&feat=directlink

<https://picasaweb.google.com/101700670573128910486/WhatBirdIsThis?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMKAzfC0pIiNSA&feat=directlink>

The above link shows yesterday’s quiz, “What bird is this?”

Often I  make bird identifications not by single birds but by the company they
keep.

If you saw the bird in the above link with its flock, as I did, you would have
no problem identifying the bird.

This was the mystery bird’s companion, see link below:

https://picasaweb.google.com/101700670573128910486/BrewerSBlackbird?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCLLPs8GqlafXGw&feat=directlink

<https://picasaweb.google.com/101700670573128910486/BrewerSBlackbird?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCLLPs8GqlafXGw&feat=directlink>

The bird was a female Brewer’s blackbird.

The brown-headed cowbird female is the other possibility for a drab brown bird.
For a link to photos of brown headed cowbirds click below:
https://picasaweb.google.com/101700670573128910486/AnswerToWhatBirdIsThis?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMW-z-XH2YjphAE&feat=directlink

<https://picasaweb.google.com/101700670573128910486/AnswerToWhatBirdIsThis?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMW-z-XH2YjphAE&feat=directlink>

To me, the iridescence of the female Brewer’s blackbird, the slender pointy
shape of the beak, the slenderness of the body, and the shape and length
of the tail separate it from the duller, thick beaked, chubby, short and
forked-tailed female brown-headed cowbird.

And, of course, the company the birds keep, those handsome male birds.

Are we just looking at birds or are we seeing?

Keep seeing birds!

Stephanie