[obol] wintering Snowy Plovers in Oregon

  • From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2019 11:55:55 -0800

It may interest some people to know that the winter Snowy Plover surveys we conduct for the coast of Washington and Oregon had record tying numbers - 439 individuals between the two states, tying 2017 winter surveys.    359 were counted in Oregon.   Of most interest to Oregon birders is the fact that we had nice wintering flocks at Clatsop (19), two locations in Tillamook (17 and 14), two locations in Lincoln (23 and 36), two locations in Lane, three in Douglas, and three in Coos Cty.   We had no reports from Curry, but earlier in the season at least 6 were known to be by Otter Point north of Gold Beach, and this beach was not surveyed so plovers may  have wintered there also.   So in 2018 we had breeding in every coastal Oregon Cty, and in winter we also had plovers in every county (except not confirmed in Curry). And based on the numbers, it appears we have well established plover wintering grounds up and down the coast after several decades of plovers not being present in these areas.    The good news for Oregon birders, especially county birders, is your chances of ticking Snowy Plover on your lists is rather quite excellent these days.    With that said, please remember, they are still on the Endangered Species List and therefore are protected under state and federal laws, so please be sensitive about activities around the birds especially since in winter they have little to no designated protected areas and there are less restrictions on recreational activities - it is up to us to give them the space they need especially since we are aware of the plovers while most recreationists are not.

Cheers

Dave Lauten

Oregon Biodiversity Information Center

Institute for Natural Resources