[obol] western screech owl fledglings begging vocalizations

  • From: Stephanie Hazen <stephaniehazen17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 04:59:34 -0700

Ray and I ate a late dinner on the back deck last night.  About 9:30 pm, 3
Western Screech owl
fledglings landed on the deck railing right in front of us.  One flew onto the
metal trellis that supports the tomato
plants off the deck.  The little owl looked right at us curiously for minutes.
A parent landed next to the owlet, and
fed it, and flew off.    The fledgling flew off into the trees in the back
yard, and we enjoyed listening to 3 different
owlets calling for their parents to feed them until they all flew north at 11
pm.

I got some of the vocalizations recorded by using my Panasonic FZ 200.  They
never came back close enough for a flash assisted
photo, but you can hear them calling by clicking attached link.  Turn up the
volume!  There is nothing to see except black.  Just listen.

https://picasaweb.google.com/101700670573128910486/WsoJune52014?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCO3DkaujkNaSUw&feat=directlink

At 4:30 this morning one owlet came to the metal trellis just outside the back
door.   Looking through the sliding glass door it watched me  fixing coffee for
awhile,
and then flew off!

Stephanie Hazen
Salem