[obol] update to my id hawk id plea

  • From: Linda Fink <linda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOLINKS <OBOL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 13:48:21 -0800

Thanks to those who replied!

I have entered this on my blog page:

Update:

Lessons I have learned:

from OBOL birders...

1) If it has a red tail, it is a Red-tailed Hawk, unless it's a Kestrel which this first bird clearly is not, having no face mask. Even though it looked small to me, the red tail means it's a Red-tail. Maybe it was a little male.

2) If it is obviously a big hawk (like the 2nd bird) on top of a tree, it is a Red-tailed Hawk until proven otherwise. They can be very light in front (like the 2nd bird).

Other lessons I have learned:

1) Size and distance can be very difficult to judge.

2) Do not assume the raptor that flew out of sight is the same one you see a little later from a different angle.

3) On a raptor route, if you don't know what it is, try to take a quick snapshot and then continue. Do not agonize over birds that are too far away or too hidden in shrubbery to be easily identified. It will make you rush through the rest of your route and possibly miss raptors.

4) After running this route every winter since January of 2005, I am still learning new stuff.

Linda
--
http://lindafink.blogspot.com/
http://lindafink-birdnotes.blogspot.com/