[obol] south coast birds

  • From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2015 13:22:40 -0800

We just got back from viewing the COMMON SCOTER in Crescent City CA. If you haven't gone to see this bird, consider it - it is extremely easy to see, wonderful looks just below the parking lot. Plus he is a handsome character, and exceedingly rare for North America.

I forgot to mention that we had a male SELASPHORUS hummer in our yard on Friday morning, and we heard one in Lakeside yesterday while searching for the Rusty Blackbird.

In other wildlife sightings news, on our way to California this morning a WESTERN GRAY SQUIRREL ran across Hwy 101 with a pine cone in it's mouth. Now this might not seem to be a big deal, but this was on a stretch of Hwy 101 between Port Orford and Gold Beach, where the highway is hugging the coast and hundred feet or so above it. I don't think I have ever seen a Western Gray Squirrel crossing Hwy 101 anywhere down here, nor can I say I have ever seen a Western Gray Squirrel this close to the coast at all. In my experience here they are rather rare on the coastal plan, and this fella was a long way from their preferred oak habitat. We are still a bit surprised to have seen this.

Cheers
Dave Lauten and Kathy Castelein
Bandon OR