[obol] shrike ID

  • From: "Paul Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <linda@xxxxxxxx>, <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 10:20:37 -0700

Linda,

I would differ from Dave Irons on several points.

I agree that Northern Shrikes are paler than Loggerheads.  Compare soft gray
T-shirt,  sky, or sea vs. GUN-METAL GRAY, respectively.

I wouldn't say that most of the Northern Shrikes we see in Oregon are
immatures, i.e. the brown-colored birds.  I've seen plenty of adult
Northerns.

Carol & I saw BOTH kinds of shrike in the same day regularly on our winter
raptor routes in Gilliam county over the last many years.  We did see BOTH
species sitting up on power lines, too. (Gilliam county has limited
perches).

JIZZ (GISS = general impression, size, shape): Things you can spot a couple
power-poles away, before you get up to the bird.

Carol says Loggerhead Shrikes are plumper, with shorter tails.  Northerns
sit taller, leaner, with longer tails.

Northern Shrike:

Larger

Paler

Black mask doesn't meet over the bill.

Base of bill is pale

Large bill has a definite hook (think miniature eagle beak)

Adults have a fish-scale underparts

Immature is similar, but brown instead of black-white-and-gray

Loggerhead Shrike:

Smaller

Dark crown, back, tail

Black mask meets over the bill

Base of bill is dark

Smaller bill, finch-like (think purple finch, pine grosbeak)

Clean white tummy

Immature is not brown.

So when I look at Pam Otley's flickr photos, from left to right:

1.  Northern shrike on pale gray sign - the bird is pale like the sign, mask
doesn't meet over bill, eye is a bump above the mask, base of bill pale

2.  Northern shrike on two-toned sign - the bird is pale, mask doesn't meet
over bill, base of bill pale

3.  Northern shrike on post - the bird is pale, mask doesn't meet over bill,
base of bill pale, can't see hook of bill

4.  Loggerhead Shrike in willows - crown & nape gun-metal gray, mask meets
over bill, bill small, bird smaller, tummy clean white

5. Loggerhead Shrike in willows - crown & nape gray less noticeable, mask
meets over bill, bill small, bird smaller, tummy clean white

6.  Loggerhead Shrike in willows - crown & nape gun-metal gray, mask meets
over bill, bill small, bird smaller, tummy clean white

7.  Loggerhead Shrike in willows - crown & nape gray less noticeable, mask
meets over bill, eye inside the mask, bill small, bird smaller, tummy clean
white

Hope this helps.

Paul Sulllivan & Carol Karlen

McMinnville