[obol] Re: reflections on spring migration

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <garbledmodwit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tlove@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <tlove@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 14:07:10 -0700 (PDT)

Tom,

Not sure on the swallows but our earliest Black Swift record in Coos is 9 May.
The peak of the migration varies a bit but it usually between the 15th and the
30th, with our biggest numbers on record from about the 20th to 25th.  Also, I
would say inclement weather is not good for this species (on the coast), I have
had my best luck on clear windless mornings the first few hours after sunrise
but they have been seen during late mornings and afternoons also.  Excellent
locations to check on the south coast are Floras Lake and New River as well as
the north spit of Coos Bay.  They usually migrate right along the beaches but
at New River where there are semi-open ridge lines within 1/2 mile of the beach
that have nice panoramic views, I have seen birds right over treetop (in the
tens and hundreds even).  Although we may have made this sound like a regular,
ho-hum migrant on the south coast, you need to be in the right place at the
right time to really
 increase your chances of seeing a few. Oh, sometimes they are mixed with
Vaux's Swifts, and both Coos records of WT Swift were with Black Swifts (and
occurred on the same date, 13 May 2006 and 2011). If you do see some migrating
overhead train your bins into the stratosphere and you may pick up some high
flying birds too!

Speaking of early, I have what seems an unusually LATE species still in my
neighborhood- Varied Thrush.  The lowland birds are usually gone by 1 May but
this year they have been still singing across the street from our house in
Mingus Park both yesterday and this morning?  Otherwise, I haven't really
noticed anything unusual about the migration to this point, the record dry
weather is another thing...

Merry migration!
Tim R
Coos Bay