[obol] raising awareness, owls, empathy

  • From: Stephanie Hazen <stephaniehazen17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 10:49:06 -0800

On Dec 22 Ray and I went to Linn County to see the burrowing owl reported on
obol.  We were concerned when we watched a young couple approach the owl within
a few feet, taking photographs.  They were present when we returned an hour or
so later, and the bird had moved away from its roost, presumably because of
their presence.

This owl has claimed the culvert and surroundings as its roost.  I would hope
that people would respect this and not intrude.  The bird is relying on
camouflage to keep from getting eaten by predators, mobbed by other birds, and
being noticed.  The more it is caused to move, the more people call attention
to it, the more likely it will be brought into harms way.  Resting during the
day and being active at dusk, night and dawn,  is its norm.  Being caused to
move, being caused to be in alert mode, not being allowed to rest is a stressor
for the bird.  How would it be if somebody rang the doorbell at your house all
day, and you were a day sleeper?

I hope we can all temper the excitement of getting a photograph and seeing the
owl up close with an empathy for what it takes to be  a bird that survives in
the wild.

With all sincerity,

Stephanie Hazen
Salem