[obol] Re: pending flycatcher splits...

  • From: Bob Archer <rabican1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOLINKS <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 18:25:33 -0700

Hmm, I assumed this WAS all an April Fools joke from ABA??

Will need to see if paper really exists.

Wolves and attacking birds were close to real life experience for myself so I
swallowed that hook.

Was hoping for startling news from Astoria as has been the norm, but alas none.
:)

Bob Archer

On Apr 1, 2015, at 5:23 PM, Mike Patterson <celata@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I seem to remember having this discussion on an early April Day
a few years back...

The names PALLID FLYCATCHER and SOOTY FLYCATCHER have already been
taken. The AOU cannot use those names. I suspect the confusion here is
that these names are pre Standard English Vernacular names used
colloquially for those forms of Dusky Flycatcher (see Pyle).

Should the AOU make this split (which seems likely given the three for
two lump/split rule), they will probably opt for Western
Dusky-flycatcher, Eastern Dusky-flycatcher and Southern
Dusky-flycatcher, in part because they are the least imaginative names
possible and they have hyphens.

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR