[obol] owls and glass

  • From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 12:12:13 -0800

*****************

     Cats and hunting are taboo on this list serve. Owls almost need to be to
relieve the tedium. Wayne Hoffman has commented more than once on the
disproportionate amount of emotional capital spent on high profile owls, the
perceived harassment thereof by shutterbugs. I've pursued the BUOW in question
three times since Dec 8, the second two successfully. The first time it had
moved,
clearly related to weather. My son and I had a pleasant chat with a man down
the road who was feeding his pigs. He knew in advance a)we were birders--he
used that word and not "birdwatchers"; b)we were looking for a Burrowing Owl.
"That's my kids' pet." He also knew this statement was fairly risqué in our
kind of crowd as he quickly ammended,"Only joking." It's been along the north
south road in past years
as well. Or another of its species. They have been a regular winterer in that
area for at least fifty years. They probably sneak onto the semi trailers that
bring all the sheep from
Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho.
     I too met the aforementioned couple on 12/22. They had been to Africa, so
they clearly like to spend large sums on wildlife photography. They couldn't
identify a Red-tailed Hawk, of which they had noted a great many on their drive
out from Corvallis. These are not criticisms on my part, just simple
observations. It was a pleasure to meet people whose interests overlap mine  a
little bit. They don't monitor Obol, but learned of it from a friend at OSU.
Their lens was ten times bigger than the owl, so one wonders why set up so
close to it?  But I must emphasize that the owl was totally chill with the
whole thing. A vehicle blasted by at freeway speeds and it briefly flew out
into the green field, but it didn't mind the humans on the ground. I have kept
all my communications private about this bird, and one might note I'm still not
naming any specifics. It would surely ruffle a few human feathers. It's been a
source of great delight for my family, the signature for our 2013 holiday
season. I'm glad others have had the same good luck.
Lars