[obol] Re: off-topic Plant distribution info OREGON FLORA PROJECT

  • From: "Dennis Vroman" <dpvroman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <davidcbaileyoregon@xxxxxxxxx>, <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 16:32:07 -0700

Knobcone Pine are a native to Oregon.  Mostly they are found inland on dry,
rocky, or otherwise poor land for conifer tree growth.  Something to consider
is that Knobcone x Monterey Pine crosses and pure Monterey Pine (both can have
similar looking cones to Knobcone Pine that remain on the tree for a good
number of years) have been planted around the state in many locations.
Monterey Pine being a coastal species in California, could have been planted
along coastal Oregon.

Something to consider, Dennis
    Date: Fri Aug 22 2014 10:54 am
    From: kfsaylor AT gmail.com
There is a stand of Knobcone Pine on the western edge of the Bandon State
Natural Area. I have not observed this species anywhere else in the whole of
BSNA or in any of the surrounding natural areas. Is there anyone on list who
has a sense of the natural history and distribution of this species in Oregon?

Thanks,

Keith F. Saylor- See more at: http://birding.aba.org/maillistdigest/OR01#753684