[obol] Re: obol Digest V3 #251

  • From: jendevlin <jendevlin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2014 10:34:51 -0700

-------- Original message --------
From: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 08/09/2014  10:06 PM  (GMT-08:00)
To: obol digest users <ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: obol Digest V3 #251

obol Digest     Saturday, August 09 2014        Volume: 03  Issue: 251

In This Issue:
#1:     From: Treesa Hertzel <Autumn207@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [obol] [eBird Alert] Oregon Rare Bird Alert <daily>
#2:     From: Bob Archer <rabican1@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [obol] Anemones and Seabirds
#3:     From: Nels Nelson <nelsnelson7@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [obol] Black Phoebe and Ruddy Turnstone
#4:     From: "A & S Hill" <60stops2home@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [obol] Abducted by Avians
#5:     From: Keith Saylor <kfsaylor@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [obol] Peregrine help
#6:     From: Keith Saylor <kfsaylor@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [obol] Peregrine help- link to images
#7:     From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [obol] Re: Peregrine help- link to images
#8:     From: "A & S Hill" <60stops2home@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [obol] Stunned Selasphorus
#9:     From: "A & S Hill" <60stops2home@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [obol] Update: Stunned Selasphorus
#10:    From: Bob Archer <rabican1@xxxxxxxxx>
#11:    From: Bob Archer <rabican1@xxxxxxxxx>
#12:    From: "Wayne Hoffman" <whoffman@xxxxxxxx>
#13:    From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [obol] Birdemic- Shock and Terror: Worse than you might imag

Msg: #1 in digest
From: Treesa Hertzel <Autumn207@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 06:56:02 -0700

From: ebird-alert@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [eBird Alert] Oregon Rare Bird Alert <daily>
Date: August 9, 2014 6:06:55 AM PDT

*** Species Summary:

Common Goldeneye (1 Malheur)
Red-shouldered Hawk (3 Marion)
Black-necked Stilt (1 Polk)
Bank Swallow (1 Lane)

The report below shows observations of rare birds in Oregon.  View this alert
on the web at http://ebird.org/ebird/alert/summary?sid=SN35555

------------------------------

Msg: #2 in digest
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 08:11:20 -0700
From: Bob Archer <rabican1@xxxxxxxxx>

Interesting what keeps the beaches clean at Cannon Beach.
Watch your toes ;)

http://www.marineornithology.org/PDF/42_1/42_1_1-2.pdf

Bob Archer
PDX

------------------------------

Msg: #3 in digest
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 08:59:23 -0700
From: Nels Nelson <nelsnelson7@xxxxxxxxx>

I found a Black Phoebe yesterday morning (8:45 AM) fly catching off the
wire fences at the first farm in (with the Clydesdale Horses) on Goodspeed
Road (Tillamook Co.).
And, the lovely Ruddy Turnstone is still hanging with the Black Turnstones
at Seaside Cove.

Nels Nelson
Hillsboro

------------------------------

Msg: #4 in digest
From: "A & S Hill" <60stops2home@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 11:37:02 -0700

While filling the seed feeder, I noticed a perch missing from the "thistle"
feeder on the same pole. On July 23, the perch was there, but loose, as seen
in this photo:  https://flic.kr/p/oxFiJE . But, in this photo from August 6,
https://flic.kr/p/omaye4 , the perch is missing.

After a long and fruitless search of the ground below the feeder pole, I
have concluded that the fallen perch must have been taken by Crows.

They like to collect shiny things. We see at least a murder a day in our
yard.

Amy Hill

Kalama, Washington

628 feet up in Cowlitz County

60stops 2 home at kalama dot com

Artlessfun at yahoo dot com

------------------------------

Msg: #5 in digest
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 17:19:46 -0700
From: Keith Saylor <kfsaylor@xxxxxxxxx>

Hello Everyone,
Is this a first year peregrine? I don't trust myself because I'm the
eastern birds strike me as not as dark.

Thank,
Keith

------------------------------

Msg: #6 in digest
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 17:21:41 -0700
From: Keith Saylor <kfsaylor@xxxxxxxxx>

Apologies
https://picasaweb.google.com/110367164600474964103/PeregrineFalconJuvenile?authuser=0&feat=directlink

------------------------------

Msg: #7 in digest
From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2014 01:07:01 +0000

Keith,
This is definitely a 'kid." The brown upperparts, streaked, rather than barred
underparts, pale area along the sides of the hindcrown and pale buffy edges on
the wing coverts are all indicative of a juvenile bird. Unlike most other
birds, raptors retain their juvenile plumage through much of the first year of
life. The various raptor references that I have suggest that juvenile
Peregrines with this much pale on the head are F. p. tundrias (doesn't breed in
Oregon). It shows juveniles of other subspecies as having more solidly dark
helmets. Your bird clearly has quite a bit of pale along the sides of the
hindcrown, but it has a rather broad moustachial mark that seems more
consistent with F. p. anatum (which does breed in Oregon). I'm assuming that
this is a photo that you took in Oregon and took recently, which would point to
it being the latter subspecies.

Dave Irons
Portland, OR

Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 17:21:41 -0700
From: kfsaylor@xxxxxxxxx
To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Apologies
https://picasaweb.google.com/110367164600474964103/PeregrineFalconJuvenile?authuser=0&feat=directlink

------------------------------

Msg: #8 in digest
From: "A & S Hill" <60stops2home@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 18:16:36 -0700

Tweeters,

At 5:25 p.m. Saturday, I watched a Rufous Hummingbird at the nectar feeder.
There were no other birds around, surprisingly. When it finished eating, it
flew full-speed into the picture window on the porch.

I put the little gem into a box with a soft towel and set the box on the
porch. Here's a photo of it six minutes post-strike:
https://flic.kr/p/onH6cr

Thirty minutes post-strike, both eyes were open, its breathing had
normalized, it had tucked its wings in, and the hummingbird was looking
around in its box. I hope it recovers.

Amy Hill

Kalama, Washington

628 feet up in Cowlitz County

60stops 2 home at kalama dot com

Artlessfun at yahoo dot com

------------------------------

Msg: #9 in digest
From: "A & S Hill" <60stops2home@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 18:34:51 -0700

One hour after the window strike, the Rufous Hummingbird flew out of the
box. Hurray!

Amy Hill

Kalama, Washington

628 feet up in Cowlitz County

60stops 2 home at kalama dot com

Artlessfun at yahoo dot com

------------------------------

Msg: #10 in digest
From: Bob Archer <rabican1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 18:35:42 -0700

I agree it is a juvenile as well.  One feature I noticed was the all brown
tail, that seems to be a feature of pealei, rather than barring which the other
two tend to have.
Bob Archer

> On Aug 9, 2014, at 6:07 PM, David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Keith,
>
> This is definitely a 'kid." The brown upperparts, streaked, rather than
> barred underparts, pale area along the sides of the hindcrown and pale buffy
> edges on the wing coverts are all indicative of a juvenile bird. Unlike most
> other birds, raptors retain their juvenile plumage through much of the first
> year of life. The various raptor references that I have suggest that juvenile
> Peregrines with this much pale on the head are F. p. tundrias (doesn't breed
> in Oregon). It shows juveniles of other subspecies as having more solidly
> dark helmets. Your bird clearly has quite a bit of pale along the sides of
> the hindcrown, but it has a rather broad moustachial mark that seems more
> consistent with F. p. anatum (which does breed in Oregon). I'm assuming that
> this is a photo that you took in Oregon and took recently, which would point
> to it being the latter subspecies.
>
> Dave Irons
> Portland, OR
>
> Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 17:21:41 -0700
> Subject: [obol] Peregrine help- link to images
> From: kfsaylor@xxxxxxxxx
> To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Apologies
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/110367164600474964103/PeregrineFalconJuvenile?authuser=0&feat=directlink

------------------------------

Msg: #11 in digest
From: Bob Archer <rabican1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 18:39:49 -0700

I meant to add I was using Pyle's book as a reference, vol II page
470...assuming it is current :)
Bob Archer

> On Aug 9, 2014, at 6:07 PM, David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Keith,
>
> This is definitely a 'kid." The brown upperparts, streaked, rather than
> barred underparts, pale area along the sides of the hindcrown and pale buffy
> edges on the wing coverts are all indicative of a juvenile bird. Unlike most
> other birds, raptors retain their juvenile plumage through much of the first
> year of life. The various raptor references that I have suggest that juvenile
> Peregrines with this much pale on the head are F. p. tundrias (doesn't breed
> in Oregon). It shows juveniles of other subspecies as having more solidly
> dark helmets. Your bird clearly has quite a bit of pale along the sides of
> the hindcrown, but it has a rather broad moustachial mark that seems more
> consistent with F. p. anatum (which does breed in Oregon). I'm assuming that
> this is a photo that you took in Oregon and took recently, which would point
> to it being the latter subspecies.
>
> Dave Irons
> Portland, OR
>
> Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 17:21:41 -0700
> Subject: [obol] Peregrine help- link to images
> From: kfsaylor@xxxxxxxxx
> To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Apologies
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/110367164600474964103/PeregrineFalconJuvenile?authuser=0&feat=directlink

------------------------------

Msg: #12 in digest
From: "Wayne Hoffman" <whoffman@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 19:28:58 -0700

Hi Bob, Keith, Dave ���

Great Photos.  I agree that this is definitely a juvenile Peregrine, and looks
a lot like other local juveniles.  I have had the benefit of frequent and
extended observations of the fledglings from the Yaquina Head nest, which
fledged 3 this summer, 2 last year, and 4 in 2012.  They show a lot of
individual variation, even within the broods.  One good character, besides the
plumage, is that juvs have a bluish cere, which becomes yellow with age.

I think it is too early in the year for juv. tundrius to be this far south.  I
used to see a lot of them in migration in Florida, and my recollection is that
they were paler on the underparts.  They also tend to have a larger, more
distinct and whiter  pale patch extending from the bill up onto the forehead.
They also tend to be smaller, but your photos (and most of mine) are not much
help in minor differences in size.

Our breeders are supposed to be anatum, but we are fairly close to the range of
pealii  (reported to breed in NW Washington) and I see some birds that look
possibly intermediate, so the unbarred tail is not too surprising.  The juvs
that I call pealii in fall and winter tend to be even darker, and the
underparts streaking tends to be darker, with the individual streaks longer,
and with dark enough base color that the streaks are not so defined.  In much
of the country, the breeding Peregrines are descended from captive-bred birds
of varied ancestry, but in Oregon released birds were required to have 100%
anatum ancestry.  That said, anatum are highly variable both geographically and
within populations.  I find the local Peregrines so variable that I  can
distinguish many individuals.

Wayne

Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 17:21:41 -0700
From: kfsaylor@xxxxxxxxx
To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Apologies

https://picasaweb.google.com/110367164600474964103/PeregrineFalconJuvenile?authuser=0

<https://picasaweb.google.com/110367164600474964103/PeregrineFalconJuvenile?authuser=0&feat=directlink>
 &feat=directlink

------------------------------

Msg: #13 in digest
Subject: [obol] Birdemic- Shock and Terror: Worse than you might imagine, but f
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2014 21:01:43 -0700

Hi all,

My kids bought me a movie on DVD for Christmas, and last night I finally
got around to watching it.

The movie is called "Birdemic: Shock and Terror," directed by James
Nguyen (whose name will live in infamy). Apparently it has a bit of a
cult following, see e.g.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE5dJDgZ644

It is truly a bad movie. Bad acting, horrible dialogue, bad soundtrack,
abysmal special effects. It's so bad that it's fun to watch. You start
to wonder if the actors and director weren't just spoofing themselves,
until you learn that they spent 4 years on this project (though the
total budget was under $10,000).

The movie also features an "ornithologist" who gives a spontaneous
lecture on global warming.

Serious birders who watch this movie with the idea of picking out
range/distribution type flaws will no doubt blow a fuse, in the first
scene where the birds appear. This movie is so bad that you really need
to set your better judgment aside.

But hey, it's about birds. Well, at least partly, after you're 45
minutes into the movie!

Happy watching,
Joel

--