[obol] nesting KILLDEER at Fernhill wetlands

  • From: Jeff and Lauretta Young <jeffandlaurettayoung@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, obol OBOL <OBOL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 08:11:24 -0700

we went yesterday in the mild AM rain before the really hard downpours of the
afternoon

highlight was nesting KILLDEER right near the trails— I wonder how many others
we did not see

www.flickr.com/photos/youngbirders <http://www.flickr.com/photos/youngbirders>

the strategy of being still is very effective one— I walked right by this nest
near the trail even though I was actively looking for more nests— Jeff spotted
it

the Eagle nest in the cottonwoods near the main pond do not seem to have any
nesting activity so apparently the pair have gone elsewhere to breed

there were many YELLOW RUMPED WARBLERS and other songbirds — the other
highlight was a male PEREGRINE FALCON actively flying between trees and
perching— the last time we were out a few weeks ago we saw the much larger
female but she was not spotted yesterday— very few ducks of any sort with the
swans all gone..

nice walk— blooming currants and Oregon Grape

we also saw a pair of LESSER SANDPIPERS with clearly visible yellow legs

one flock of fly over GREATER YELLOWLEGS

warmly, J and L