[obol] Re: mystery bird

  • From: Rob Conway <robin_birder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "andydfrank@xxxxxxxxx" <andydfrank@xxxxxxxxx>, obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 08:21:38 +0000

This bird is a puzzler for sure.  Compared to the Goldfinch in the picture this
bird is about 50% larger, making it about 7" instead of 4 1/2.  The beak is
short and stubby and the eyes in all views seem small and "beady".  The very
muted color makes me think this bird has aberrant, not worn, plumage.  The wing
bars are unlike a house or purple finch.  This made me think sparrow.  Could
this be a leucistic White-crowned, Fox or even Harris's sparrow?  The size,
relatively dainty beak and small eye along with the exception size point me in
this direction.  I have a hard time telling beak color which could help
pinpoint my guess.

Rob Conway
Camas, WA
45.58°N 122.44°W - elevation 310 ft.
robin_birder@xxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 15:27:06 -0800
Subject: [obol] mystery bird
From: andydfrank@xxxxxxxxx
To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

https://picasaweb.google.com/andydfrank/MysteryBird

This bird just arrived at my feeder.  It has not been here before.  My best
guess is it's a very oddly plumaged House Finch based on size, shape and that
it is chowing down the sunflower chips the other House Finches (and Lesser
Goldfinches) like, but that's a guess, and I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks, Andy Frank