[obol] more on the Emperor Goose, and American White Pelicans

  • From: Andy Frank <andydfrank@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 21:03:49 -0800

I also went this morning to Scappoose Bottoms and saw the EMPEROR GOOSE in
the same area as noted by Hannah. Many thanks to Lyn and Gene Topinka for
showing me where to look. A scope was needed to get a satisfactory look,
as well as patience as the bird was not visible at times when it lowered
its head.

While I was there, the whole flock flew closer and I was excited at the
prospect of getting a better view. Instead, the flock landed in a lower
lying part of the field that completely obscured any view. In other words,
seeing the bird will involve some luck even if it's there.

As a bonus, a STRIPED SKUNK was slowly walking down the road nearby. A
photo (of the skunk, not the goose) is at http://andyfrank.blogspot.com/ I
stopped my bike about 20 yards past it, got out my camera and started
taking photos. It proceeded to slowly walk down the road towards me. It
got within about 8 feet or so and though I know they are supposedly usually
good natured, I wanted to make sure I didn't get sprayed so I moved another
20 yards forward and went to the other side of the road. It then slowly
keeps walking down the road towards me while crossing over to the other
side! I then decided I should just leave.

On another subject, yesterday at Broughton Beach by the Portland airport, 2
AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS flew overhead. A COMMON LOON was also there, but
no Heermann's Gull.

Andy Frank