[obol] Re: more on Newport Brown Booby

  • From: Jack Williamson <jack.williamson.jr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 18:16:46 -0700

Wayne,

This bird clearly demonstrates the characteristics of a male as described
in the online version of Birds of North America . . .* "male typically has
gray-blue to steely-blue skin around eyes (and in some, this color extends
across proximal upper edge of bill), and yellow to bright yellow skin at
base of lower mandible. . *."

Please let me know if you disagree.

Very best

Jack Williamson
West Linn, Oregon

On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 5:34 PM, <whoffman@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi -

I have examined my photos from today (taken under challenging conditions)
and have a few comments on the bird:

1. The face pattern indicates it is a female. As far as I know no males
have been confirmed north of California (does anyone know of any).

2. It appears to be a full adult, with fully white belly.

3. It is in tail molt, with new outer tail feathers, and old, faded
central feathers.

4. Its left wing frequently droops. Clearly it flies well, but it may
have some sort of wing injury.

Wayne