[obol] last look before Sauvie Island seasonal closure

  • From: "Paul Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 23:55:37 -0700

Prompted by Nikki Chapman I headed to Sauvie Island today. It was a great
day to be out there. Fall is in the air.

I visited Mud Lake in early afternoon:
2-3 Great Blue Herons
2-3 Great Egrets
13 Gtr White-fronted Geese
25 Sandhill Cranes
1 Pintail
3 Ruddy Ducks
1 Killdeer

I visited The Wash 2 - 3:30 as the tide went out and exposed more mud
34 White Pelicans
47 D-c Cormorants
15 Great Blue Herons
32 Great Egrets
21 Sandhill Cranes
2500 Cackling Geese
14 Gtr White-fronted Geese
3 Gadwall
20 Pintail
150 Am Wigeon
20 Mallards
1-2 Peregrine falcons
1 Bald Eagle
1 Red-shouldered Hawk
65 Coot
1 Black-bellied Plover
3 Greater Yellowlegs
15 L-b Dowitcher
6 Ring-billed gull
6 California Gull
1 Herring Gull
1 Western Gull
2 Kingfisher

At the viewing platform on the east side of the island I saw only a few
coots
At the two McNary lakes I found a few Gt Blue Herons and Gt Egrets

At Rentenaar Rd a few Golden-crowned Sparrows, Song Sparrows, Red-winged
and Brewer's Blackbirds, a Cowbird,
1 Cooper's Hawk
1 N. Harrier

Good birding, everyone,

Paul Sullivan

================================
Subject: Sauvie Island seasonal closure
Date: Tue Sep 29 2015 23:24 pm
From: nikkichapman19 AT gmail.com
Hello all,

Just a reminder that tomorrow is the last day of the Sauvie Island season

to get out to Oak Island Rd., as well the fish and wildlife roads off the

end of Sauvie Island Rd. I've not been out to the Wash in the last two

weeks so can only speak for west Sturgeon and Steelman lakes. There are

huge numbers of Canada geese, Cackling and others, large numbers of

Sandhills, and the early small flock of Snow geese we saw today on Steelman

lake.

The turkey vultures, most of the swallows, and the osprey all seem to have

left as of last week, which feels odd given the 80 degree weather. Anywho,

should be lovely out there tomorrow if you want to get one last walk in

before hunting closures.

Nikki Chapman