[obol] interesting Eastern Kingbird behavior

  • From: "Paul T. Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "COBOL" <cobol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "EOR list" <birding-neoregon-group@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 18:02:44 -0700

Folks,

While birding Willow Cove in the NE corner of Gilliam County on Saturday evening, I found 12 EASTERN KINGBIRDS, representing several broods, I'm sure.

What was notable was that one of them was in the process of tenderizing a TREE FROG. The froglet was the size of a grasshopper, but clearly not an insect. The bird had it by the head and was repeatedly whacking it on a branch or whipping it in the air. I could clearly see the dangling fore- and hind-limbs. The frog was making no attempt to resist; it was beyond that. The bird moved from perch to perch with it's prey, but kept at the job. I did not see the final outcome.

Good birding, everyone,

Paul T. Sullivan