[obol] hawks near Tillamook

  • From: William Risser <wlrisser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 20:56:51 -0800

I am having trouble getting this posted. Here's another try

As we neared Tillamook on Hway 101 from the south a red-shouldered hawk was
on a telephone pole along the road. We turned onto the airport and onto
the air museum roads and saw a white-tailed kite on each road.

In the last field on the north side of highway 6 before we entered the
woods toward Portland we saw 20 hawks sitting in the grass. Two were
harriers , one was a rough-leg, and the rest we identified as red-tails.
There was one with a very white head and lots of white on the back that had
elements of Krider's and of light-phase Harlan's. It was too far away for
pictures and never showed its tail. Too tired tonight to hit the books.

Jan and Will Risser, Portland