[obol] fantastic day on the ORegon coast

  • From: Linda Fink <linda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOLINKS <OBOL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 09:15:24 -0700

The Common Ground Dove on 10/20 in Yachats was a gift from Judy Meredith. Thank you, Judy!! But the Humpback Whale that dove with its beautiful black and white tail clear out of the water that we saw off Dawn V.'s deck in Lincoln City was the most spectacular sight of the day. I am used to seeing Gray Whales off the coast (and we saw some yesterday by Seal Rock) but this is the first time I think I've seen a Humpback. Another fun sighting was the Double-crested Cormorant at Eckman Lake struggling to get a big fish positioned to swallow, while two otters approached to try to wrest the catch away. Amazingly, the cormorant was able to fly off while holding onto the fish. As Dawn mentioned, a Virginia Rail that had been talking to us from the marsh suddenly sounded off... LOUDLY... from what sounded like a foot in front of us... totally invisible but LOUD. Our last stop of the day was at Yaquina Head, where we drove in, parked, got out of the car, and were entertained by a flock of Chestnut-backed and Mountain Chickadees... which even allowed us good photo ops. Wow. What a day.

Linda
--
http://lindafink.blogspot.com/
http://lindafink-birdnotes.blogspot.com/