[obol] early morning in Columbia County

  • From: Bobbett Pierce <ensatina3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 13:52:08 -0400

Woke up to the twittering of flying violet-green swallows -- around 3 a.m., and
still dark. Couldn't get back to sleep, so listened as robins eventually
started singing, then a towhee chimed in. By 4:30 a.m. crows, a chickadee, and
song sparrows joined in. I was surprised when I heard a NIGHTHAWK several times
in the early dawn, but it must have been travelling because I only heard it
around 3 times. Also heard what I think was a Swainson's thrush single-note
call for around 5 minutes, then a warbler (likely Wilson's) briefly and a
purple finch. The evening grosbeaks didn't start chirping until after the sun
was up.  Ultimate passive birding.
Crown Z Trail in the Scappoose lowlands yesterday: a pair of cinnamon teals in
the shallow marsh, and a couple of green herons flew overhead.

Lona Pierce,Warren