[obol] credits: warranted and unwarranted

  • From: 5hats@xxxxxxxx
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 07:50:30 -0700 (PDT)

. Several people have commented on my identification skills on the Great
Crested Flycatcher. While these comments are appreciated, they are a bit
exaggerated. Had the bird been as high in the trees and as distant as it was
for many of the people who have seen it, I would never have been able to get
the description initially sent to obol. When first discovered on Monday
afternoon, the bird was working along a fairly low growth of willows along the
creek at about eye level to my position in the road. I the half hour or so I
watched it, at distances from 20-40 yards, I had multiple opportunities to see
all the necessary plumage characteristics to identify it. On one occasion it
ever perched right out in the open on a hazel limb about sixty feet away for a
while, giving excellent dorsal views. In the total time of observation I was
able to see the brightness and extent of yellow on the underparts, the broadly
white-edged tertials which were darker than the rest of the wing, the bright
rufous tail on the bird as it flew, showing both inner and outer webs, the
underside of the tail which lacked a brown tip, most of these features a number
of times. After Chuck Philo arrived, we both were able to see most of these
features. After we had finished looking at the bird and consulted Sibley, we
were able to come to the conclusion that the field marks were consistent with
Great Crested and eliminated similar species. The simple point is: I probably
had better views of the bird than anyone who has seen it since.
Credit for accessibility must be given to my newphew Glenn. Technically, I do
not still own the property, having sold my interest to him a couple of years
back. But he was willing to let anyone who wished to walk the property as
described in my first post. Also, my neighbors John and Alice Ivany and Terry
and Debbie Niemeyer also graciously offered birders access.
And my thanks go to all of you who came for your hospitality and appreciation.
It has been a fun ride for me. I hope the bird sticks around for those who have
not yet had the opportunity to look for it.

Darrel