[obol] Re: birding apps

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 08:59:39 -0700

Not sure if I've mentioned these before, but these are the three mobile
phone applications that I've found most useful:

1) iShade : When dealing with bright sun, hold the phone over your
eyebrows for a better look at the bird.

You can also try this to shade your binoculars. Unfortunately some of
the newer phones (though thankfully not iPads yet) have gotten so small
that they no longer work for standard-sized bins. A hopeful development
is that some manufacturers have begun marketing "large-print" phones for
members of the Baby Boom generation.

2) iBall : Cover one eyeball with your phone, while you watch the bird
with the other eyeball. This gives you a 2-D view of the bird
astonishingly similar to what you'll find on most birding websites.

3-D views just bring in unnecessary complications, such as a sense of
scale which will only make it more difficult to turn that next Pectoral
Sandpiper into a stint.

3) iPayAttention : This is the simplest app to use. After you download
the app, just put the phone in your pocket, and your rate of birdfinding
will increase by up to a factor of three. The developer's advert claims
that this app also leads to seven times more keen observations of bird
behavior, though how they quantify "keenness" is anyone's guess.

Happy birding,
Joel

--
Joel Geier
Still happily birding in the paleodigital age