[obol] Re: [birding] Remembering...

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 16:46:11 -0700

Yes, Dean is sorely missed, especially in Central Oregon. He liked Pabst
Blue Ribbon so I hear that's the beer of choice for those who are
gathering this evening. Though to really honor his memory, I think
everyone should get up tomorrow morning and start the day with the nasty
concoction of tomato broth, tabasco sauce, and lord-knows-what-else that
was his breakfast of choice while camping -- if anyone ever figured out
the recipe!

One of Dean's many remarkable qualities was his ability to connect with
everybody. Our kids all loved him as soon as they met him.

After one of our sons (now I forget which one) got a little
over-exuberant and broke the handle on Dean's favorite framing hatchet
while trying to chop firewood at a family camping & birding event on
Pine Mountain about 10 years ago, rather than being upset Dean just said
to him, "Well, I've pounded a lot of nails with that hatchet so I guess
I got good use out of it. It's yours now." And then went back to playing
catch with the whole gaggle of kids that were assembled, keeping all of
them laughing and having fun.

Here's to Dean, an unforgettable guy and wonderful human being, for all
who had the good fortune to meet him.

Happy birding,
Joel