[obol] Re: [birding] Re: Northern Hawk Owl

  • From: Linda Fink <linda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Brandon Wagner <bmwboarder@xxxxxxxxx>, oregon birding online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Midvalley Birding <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, yamhillbirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 09:34:53 -0800

Cherry Hill Rd. is just a short flight from Rock Creek Rd. where a Barred Owl is a common visitor. Did Saroj see the bird during the day or at night?

When the weather improves, I will contact Saroj and see about birding with him. Sounds like an avid young birder!

Linda Fink

On 2/9/2014 7:27 PM, Brandon Wagner wrote:
Hey friends,

I spoke with Saroj on the phone regarding his hawk-owl report.  He said he
was able to look at it for several minutes.  I asked what made him think
Hawk Owl, and he said the dark part around the head and the general shape.
He said the size was "about 12 inches, a larger bird".  He said he saw the
front of the bird and it's chest was "busy, like a great-gray owl's chest."
- he couldn't remember any distinct barring.

He said they were on Cherry Hill Rd just out of Sheridan, somewhere past
the middle of the length of the road, closer to the top of the hill.

It still could be quite a few different things, but hopefully somebody will
be able to investigate the area more thoroughly.

Cheers!
Brandon Wagner
Independence

http://lindafink.blogspot.com/