[obol] bird-a-palooza

  • From: John Thomas <fleetwood53@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 14:08:17 -0700

Walked by the kitchen window this morning and glanced out at the feeders
like I normally do. Noticed a Western Scrub Jay on the suet feeder and two
Downy Woodpeckers on the big tree waiting their turn. Within a minute or
two a Stellers Jay showed up and scared away the Scrub Jay, then a Northern
Flicker chased away the Stellers. By now I was on the couch in the atrium
with my binoculars. The Downys finally got a turn but then they were chased
away by a Pileated. All this happened within about five minutes. Now I'm
really paying attention and lo and behold, two Western Tanagers showed up
around the water feature, a female and a very scruffy juvenile male. And of
course the usual suspects were around also - Goldfinches, Chickadees and
Song Sparrows. The show was over quickly but what a show it was!!

The Scrub Jay and the Western Tanagers are new yard birds for me.

John Thomas
Happy Valley