[obol] bird & mammal trail cam links Josephine Co.

  • From: Romain Cooper <romain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,Rogue Valley Birds <rv-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2018 10:22:53 -0800

Christie & I have a hobby of setting trail cameras on our place and contiguous/ nearby surrounding federal lands (Upper East Fork Illinois Valley, Josephine Co, OR). Mammals are the main target but birds are captured in the videos and we recently filmed 2 new bird species.

The Red-Shouldered Hawk was feeding on a salmon carcass and returned to the carcass for 2 additional days (12/23,24,25/2017). Coho salmon spawn in the creek (This is Scotch Gulch Cr. about 200ft from the confluence w/ East Fork Illinois River) and a few were still spawning when I picked up the camera on 1/1/2018. A Fisher also was captured feeding on the carcass (12/26/2017).

The Golden-Crowned Kinglet ? (12/31/2017) is hard to see well. A Ringtail (12/28/2017) visited the same "set".

So Red-shouldered hawk and Fisher do feed on salmon carcasses. (I have video series of a bobcat feeding on a carcass as well.)
* golden-crowned kinglet <https://youtu.be/NZjwT6y1hC4>https://youtu.be/NZjwT6y1hC4
   * ringtail <https://youtu.be/nW2hEbRPCI0>https://youtu.be/nW2hEbRPCI0
* fisher <https://youtu.be/gBjRDwCIGE0>https://youtu.be/gBjRDwCIGE0 https://youtu.be/-ZaidqQRkfk
* red-shouldered hawk <https://youtu.be/c4aNmIiTlco>https://youtu.be/c4aNmIiTlco https://youtu.be/xc-jqCHhzD0