[obol] accipiter id thank you!

  • From: Linda Fink <linda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOLINKS <OBOL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 09:17:17 -0700

Thanks to the folks who sent info on how to extrapolate accipiter "heights" from the published lengths. I really appreciate how willing some of you are to try to educate me.

The problem, I've concluded, is with my brain perceptions and I've likened this to the same problem my brain has with the size of the rising moon. When I see it against the hills, it looks huge, but gets smaller the higher in the sky it rises. I can only change the perception by making a circle with my fingers and looking through it to block out the hills.

As for the Sharpie, I am sure if I could see a Sharpie standing next to a Jay, I would have no trouble estimating size. But since that is not likely, I will try to remember to go by the field marks and to heck with size. (BTW, published Sharpie lengths quoted to me so far range from 8 to 15 inches, depending on sex... and maybe how good museum curators or banders are at measuring birds stretched out lengthwise... ;-) )

Thanks all!

Linda
--
http://lindafink.blogspot.com/