[obol] a very successful Josephine County chase

  • From: "Paul Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 21:11:49 -0700

OBOL:

When last we left off my quest for 200 species in Josephine County, my total
stood at 195.  When Russ Namitz's post (below) came through on Friday, I saw
two birds I could add to my county list.  However, we were already committed
to The Bird Guide's pelagic trip on Saturday, and the Cave Junction sewage
ponds are not open on weekends.

When we got back from the pelagic trip I sent Russ a note, and he said he
was hoping for a Baird's Sandpiper at Cave Junction as well.  I drove down
on Sunday afternoon and did some forest birding early this morning.  Nothing
new there.

When I arrived at the Cave Junction sewage pond at 10 AM today, Russ was
already there with Romain & Christie Cooper.  They quickly put me on to a
BAIRD'S SANDPIPER (#196), a LESSER YELLOWLEGS (#197), and a SEMIPLAMATED
SANDPIPER (#198).  Also present were Least and Western Sandpipers, and
Killdeer.  We heard a Virginia Rail, and a Cooper's Hawk flew over.  The
resident Black Phoebe was flycatching about.

We went on to Lake Selmac, where we found more Least and Western Sandpipers,
two more Baird's, several Spotted Sandpipers, Killdeer, and a Semipalmated
Plover (not #199 -- I'd seen one before in 1999)

So.... if one is aiming to see 200 species in each of Oregon's 36 counties,
that's 7200 county birds.  That means I'm at 7198/7200, which equals 99.97%.
Getting close...
(Since someone will ask: With the "over 200" tally I have in a number of
counties my total county bird tally is 8130.)

Good birding, everyone,

Paul Sullivan

================================
[obol] JoCo SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER
. From: Russ Namitz <namitzr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
. To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
. Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 15:10:09 -0700
This afternoon at the Cave Junction wastewater treatment plant there was a
Semipalmated Sandpiper and a Lesser Yellowlegs among a small flock of
Western/Least Sandpipers.

I believe the sandpiper is a county 1st, but am not sure.  This location
housed
another county 1st earlier this year in the form of a Great-tailed Grackle.

Good birding,
Russ Namitz
Medford