[obol] Re: a (very) local rarity

  • From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 15:10:13 -0700

Lars

If you had Fred Meyer parking lot in your area on the Coos Bay CBC, you'd have Brewer's every year. Seems like this species loves parking lots, especially at big stores and fast food joints. The only place I see them where I suspect they breed in somewhat natural conditions is at Bandon Beach, where they appear to nest somewhere back along the creek that runs behind the dunes. We see them on the beach at this site, but I do not see them elsewhere.

Cheers
Dave Lauten

On 5/16/2016 10:52 AM, Lars Per Norgren wrote:

These are the postings that fascinate me most. The Little Stint is for chasers. I've done many a CBC on the Oregon coast and don't think I've counted a Brewer's Blackbird yet. Lars
On May 16, 2016, at 10:06 AM, 5hats@xxxxxxxx <mailto:5hats@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

This probably sounds ridiculous to everybody else, but I just now have a very rare sighting in my back yard: a pair of Brewer's Blackbirds. During my childhood, there was a sizeable colony of them here on the farm in Lincoln County, but it disappeared about 1959. Since then the species has been very rare at this location. I think this is the first time I have seen a pair of them in close to fifty years, maybe longer.
Darrel..