[obol] a red face

  • From: Darrel Faxon <5hats@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 13:48:58 -0700

     Ron Maertz has kindly pointed out to me that Crater Lake is in Klamath
County.  It is kind of funny that I, of all people, should have committed
the error of attributing birds seen there to Douglas County.  I have lived
in this state my entire life, and was keeping county lists a long time
before the practice became popular.  I have always paid strict attention
(or so I thought) to county lines.  Many of them I know precisely, without
the aid of  map.  However, entry points to some counties are not marked by
signs in every case.  In this case, I came from Diamond Lake (which is in
Douglas County) to Crater Lake without either seeing a sign or checking the
map.  In any case, I had a great time, and in spite of the fact that the
birds seen at Crater Lake cannot be counted on my Douglas County list, the
ones I did see at Diamond Lake were enough to have bumped my total for that
county above the one hundred mark.
      By the way, does anyone know if there are Mountain Goats at Crater
Lake?  On one of the trails near Watchman Peak Laura and I saw tracks which
were made by neither deer nor elk.  Seems I have heard something about
mountain goats having been introduced there, but I couldn't find anything
about it on the web.

Darrel