[obol] Re: "Yellow"-shafted Flicker was an intergrade, not Yellow-sh.

  • From: Jamie Simmons <sapsuckers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lars Norgren <larspernorgren@xxxxxxxxx>, OBOL-to post <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 13:57:03 -0800

Lars and all,

Lars, the Yellow-shafted Flicker you reported in December (12/8 on OBOL)
you described as having "all the marks of that subspecies but the
mustachial streak, which was red." That makes it not a Yellow-shafted, but
rather an intergrade Northern Flicker since it had characteristics of both
Red-shafted and Yellow-shafted forms.

Intergrade Northern Flickers are regularly found in Oregon, especially in
winter.
Apparent pure Yellow-shafted forms are seen too, but much less frequently.

Jamie Simmons
Corvallis