[obol] Re: Yard movement

  • From: Thomas Meinzen <thomasmeinzen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 15:27:30 -0700

There's been some migrant activity in our yard in north Eugene the past
week as well. On Monday a flock of 12 EVENING GROSBEAKS came all the way
down into the yard to feed in the lower trees, something that only happens
about once a year here. We also had a WILSON'S WARBLER in the oak that
morning. On Tuesday a CASSIN'S VIREO spent a while foraging in our oak,
first of the year for our yard, and a flock of 25 RED CROSSBILLS alighted
upon our cedars, chattering all the while. I've never seen a big flock of
crossbills in Eugene in May before.

A pair of VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS appear to be defending two of our nest
boxes for the first time this year. They are active daily but still have
not brought in nesting materials. Seems late. Our BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE
pair seems to still be incubating eggs and our BUSHTIT pair have completed
their nest but may or may not have eggs.

Good birding!
Thomas Meinzen
Eugene