[obol] Yard Birds NW of Eugene

  • From: Barbara Combs <bcombs232@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 18:23:18 -0800

The SAVANNAH SPARROW that I found yesterday was present again today.
Although it was there only in the morning, it stayed longer than it did
yesterday.  Maybe it will stick around.  This is a very unusual bird for my
residential area outside of the Eugene city limits.  I have found this bird
in my yard only twice before: in mid-April of 1982 and in mid-April 1997.

Two ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRDS continue at the sugar water feeder.  I am going to
believe that they are the same two that I saw each day during the extreme
cold spell and that I helped them survive it.

Yesterday, both a SHARP-SHINNED and a COOPER'S HAWK strafed the yard, hours
apart.  I could not see for sure whether either one had a successful hunt.
Some of the smaller birds feeding in the twinberry tangle on the ground
ignored the hawks.

--
Barbara Combs   obie '70
Lane County, OR