[obol] Yamhill county ponds, and N. Shrike

  • From: "Paul Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <YamhillBirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 17:35:05 -0800

Folks,

We visited the Sheridan sewage ponds about noon today. We were able to get
in and walk the dikes.  The large pools on the east and west sides were
ice-free, but the two middle ponds were about half iced-over.

We found:

    6 Canada Geese

  30 Mallards

700 Shovelers

    2 Green-winged Teal

    1 Pintail

125 Lesser Scaup

 40 Ringnecks

  80 Bufflehead

125 Ruddy Ducks

    1 Red-tailed Hawk

    1 Kestrel

80 Coots

   9 Dunlin

12 Glaucous-winged Gull

  6 Herring Gulls

 6 Thayer's Gulls

  2 Crows

At the nearby fishing pond and the pond below the cemetery we found:

  12 Mallards

   2 Am. Wigeon

100 Shovelers

     1 Canvasback

    8 Ringnecks

11 Hooded Mergansers

   1 Pied-billed Grebe

At the Fishing Pond in Willamina we found:

50 Canada Geese

20 Mallard

100 American Wigeon

 45 Ringnecks

On the south side of Hwy 18, west of Sheridan, east of Harmony Rd, we found
the NORTHERN SHRIKE reported by Linda Fink.  It crossed the highway S to N,
then back again.  Thanks, Linda.

Good birding, everyone,

Paul Sullivan & Carol Karlen

McMinnville