[obol] Yamhill Co raptor routes

  • From: "Paul T. Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Yamhill Birders" <YamhillBirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 22:05:35 -0700

Folks,

While y'all were viewing Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Kittiwakes, Fulmars, and Rusty Blackbirds, we got out and did the two Yamhill County raptor routes -- yes, it's that season again.

We had to track the mileage and time spent on each road for the new format. Fortunately, Carol has a guy who likes to play with spreadsheets....

We saw:

November 1, 2013 North Yamhill Co Route (McMinnville to Yamhill and back) 55 mi, 4 hrs

24 Red-tails
11 Kestrels
 2 N. Harriers
 1 TUNDRA SWAN (North Valley Rd.)

November 2, 2013 Yamhill Co Route (McMinnville to Grand Island to Sheridan and back) 109 mi, 5:49 hrs

39 Red-tails
46 Kestrels
14 N. Harriers
 5 Bald Eagle adults
 1 GOLDEN EAGLE immature (Webfoot Rd.)
 2 Rough-legged Hawks
 2 Peregrine Falcons
 1 Sharpshinned Hawk
 1 Coopers Hawk
 2 TURKEY VULTURES (just S of McMinnville)

Good birding, everyone,

Paul Sullivan & Carol Karlen
McMinnville