[obol] Yachats, etc, Wednesday

  • From: "Paul Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 07:32:18 -0700

10-21-2015

8:30 AM: I started the day working south on the ocean front trail in
Yachats. I saw 100 Brown Pelicans, some Surf Scoters, Harlequin Ducks, and
Black Oystercatchers. I walked through all the spots where we'd seen the
Common Ground-Dove the day before, but did not see it.

9:00 AM: I found a CLAY-COLORED SPARROW at the jungle gym area. It even sat
on the bench briefly. Met Roy Lowe and told him about it.

9:30 AM: Seawatch from the end of 4th Street. Roy joined me awhile. We
watched 2 Gray Whales and a smaller mammal 0.25 mi offshore. David Smith
joined us.

11:00 AM: I made two passes through the playground/church area without
seeing the dove. I spread seed along the road by the skateboard area.
Returned to seawatch.

12:00 M: David left. Bill Tice appeared. We returned to the playground
area. Met Jamie Simmons & Isaac (?), Chuck Philo, and others. Saw the
COMMON GROUND-DOVE, and the CLAY-COLORED SPARROW. Looked for the Palm
Warbler without success.

Afternoon:

Did seawatch at Seal Rock.

Checked Yaquina Bay and jetty from all sides. Found Coot, Canvasback,
Lesser Scaup, and Eurasian Wigeon for my year list. Lots of Surf Scoters.

Did seawatch at Boiler Bay. Saw a feeding frenzy of Brown Pelicans grow
from 12, to 24, to 81 in a tight scrum.

Misses for the day:

Any kind of shearwater (none, zip)

Mountain Chickadee

Palm Warbler

Brant

It was a sunny day. Calm seas. A good day.

Paul Sullivan

10-21-1944