[obol] Winter Rim grouse

  • From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 10:34:02 -0700

    The Oregon Breeding Bird Atlas indicates Blue Grouse in both the Winter Rim
and Warner Mtns (yet further east) of Lake County. I would be surprised by the
species' absence in either place. Birds of Oregon lists three subspecies before
the split, two belonging to what now is Sooty Grouse. I imagine the subspecies
in Lake County would be sierrae. This location would be worthy of scrutiny. I
have always thought of this as a bird of the vast conifer forests, but someone
posted a link here to a Washington State fish and game article. In that state
Dusky Grouse is an habitué of shrub-steppe adjacent to conifers. The distance
between the Blue/Ochocco system and Winter Rim isn't that great and ten
thousand years ago the forest between the two was probably continuous.
     Lars