[obol] White-tailed Kite at Cottage Grove Lake

  • From: Tori Morgan <toripony@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 23:24:37 -0800

After 3 failed attempts to find my first WHITE-TAILED KITE at various reported locations, one surprised me this afternoon right here in my own patch at Cottage Grove Lake where I was not expecting it! I was wading through mounds of grass trying to get out to the "shore" of the upper end of the low pond and was surprised by a beautiful, unfamiliar, white bird perched on a driftwood branch about 40 yards away. It was at eye level across the grass tops so we looked at each other for a while (10 minutes? 15? I lost track). Finally, when I started to move on, it flew up to a tall tree while screeching a few times. Terrific bird! It was still perched in the same tree an hour later.

Handheld, so-so photos at Flickr: https://flic.kr/p/D9x5Jj

The 3 OSPREY and 2 BALD EAGLES (1 mostly brown oversized sub) are still there. The DC CORMORANT count is now up to 140.

Good birding,
Tori Morgan
Cottage Grove

POST: Send your post to obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx