[obol] White-breasted Nuthatch Split

  • From: STEVE KORNFELD <sbkornfeld@xxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 09:45:38 -0700

OBOL, I am trying to get my head around the potential upcoming White-breasted
Nuthatch split as it pertains to Oregon.   The east slope of the Cascades is a
wonderful intersection zone of Pacific and Interior west species and
subspecies.  The degree of hybridization attests to that.   This is one of the
reasons birding Central Oregon is so exciting So -  Will the Central and
Eastern Oregon White-breasted subspecies - tenuissima - be part of the Pacific
Group or part of the Interior west group.  In other words if the split goes
through, will we regularly have one or two species of White-breasted Nuthatch
in Oregon?   When I review ebird sightings, all of the sightings in Central
Oregon are in the Interior West group.The Subspecies page in the new National
Geo (pg 553) includes tenuissima in the Interior West group.However the current
Clements list places tenuissima in the Pacific Group. If indeed tenuissima is
part of the Interior West group and therefore a different species than the
Pacific Group found in the Portland area, it will be time to really scrutinize
the birds in Central Oregon.  Either way better scrutiny will be in order.
thoughts? thanks Steve KornfeldBend