[obol] Whimbrels Lincoln County; Swifts Marion County

  • From: John Thomas <johnpam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 19:47:21 -0700

We were in Newport today and checked out Yaquina Head. Peregrine easily seen
above Visitor Center. Two Harlequin Ducks distant on south Tidal Flats.
Thousands upon thousands of Common Murre and Pelagic Cormorants on the nesting
grounds. The ocean around the rocks was filled with thousands more mostly
Common Murres. Pretty impressive like usual !

The Hatfield Marine Science Center Nature Walk yielded 8 Whimbrel and a small
flock of 15-20 Peeps that flew by. Mile Miller Memorial Trail yielded too many
mosquitoes so we gave up after seeing and hearing several Wilson's Warblers and
Stellar Jays. We almost wanted to rename the trail the Mike Miller Memorial
Mosquito Trail after our experience. (And we used DEET.)

Sally's Bend had 22 Whimbrel and 1 Greater Yellowlegs right across from the
property that has the metal GB Heron on the gate. Purple Martins were seen at
two locations on Yaquina Bay but most birds around the Martin nest boxes on the
bay were  Swallows or Starlings.

Back here on the close-to-home front:  600 V Swifts went down JFK High Chimney
in Mt Angel on Saturday night and 600 went down last night. It will be
interesting to see if numbers fall flat during the upcoming hot spell like they
did last year. If so...this may be the peak for our little corner of the V
Swift Migration.

Good Birding,
John Thomas
Silverton (address), Mt Angel (phone)